Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Difference Between Night and Day

Today was the day to do the third day of Couch to 10K. My typical routine is to do my workouts after work. I decided to do today's workout first thing this morning. I have heard a lot of different thoughts and theories about working out. The the second day after a workout hurts more than the day after is one I hear often.
Some people say that it is best to do a workout first thing in the morning. It gets the blood pumping and makes you feel better for the rest of the day. I have had some experience with this and I believe that there is a lot of merit to it. A few years ago, I worked with a guy who had some experience in the Marine Corps. He and I spent a few months working out together every morning before work. We met up at the office workout and did the basic sorts of exercises that Marine Recruits do during basic training. We worked out for about an hour, and then got going with our day after cleaning up.
I felt that endorphin rush that people talk about when they talk about after workouts in the morning. The reason why I don't get do my workouts first thing in the morning is because it would require me to get up at about 3 in the morning to happen. I honestly sleep too little as it is. Also, I have found that working out can be a little loud, particularly on the treadmill. Running outside would not be a noise issue, but, I live in the Pacific Northwest. It does rain often, so some days I would prefer to stay dry during my workout. My wife sleeps later than I do in the mornings, so it is simpler for me to do my workouts in the afternoon, when my work day is over.
I am not aware of any particular advantages to morning or afternoon workouts from the standpoint of Biology. I think the import thing is that the workout happens. One thing that I did notice about working out this morning is that I do feel more soreness this evening than I do when I do my workout in the late afternoon. Maybe I sleep through it in the night.
Three months to go before I should be 10K ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment