Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Personal Sleep Study Kickoff and Caffeine Free Day 1

I have had a difficult time sleeping. This has been going on for some time. I get between 4 and 6 hours of sleep per night. There are some people who can get by on that and I have been trying to for some time. I am typically up at 4 am. No, that is not a typo. I work about 10 hours a day and try to be in bed by 10. Sometime though, midnight seems to happen more often than 10.

Recently, I have not been able to stay asleep. Falling asleep is not a problem. My wife tells me that I am fall asleep before my head hits the pillow. I wake up about 5 times a night. I also usually wake up more worn out than I felt when I went to sleep.
Medical science and most horror movies with a driven, mad scientist tells us that it is usually not a good idea for a person to experiment on themselves. The experiment that I am doing I think is a reasonable exception. I have decided to eliminate caffeine from my diet. That means no coffee or anything that I know has caffeine in it. I already do not drink soda, so that is not an issue. I have eliminated it as of April 9. I am going to try it for at least a month and see how it goes.

Follow along. Let see what happens.

What I have done in the past is make coffee for myself at home before heading out to work in the morning. I use my Keurig and set it to make the biggest cup that it will produce. I don't actually start drinking it until I get to the office at 6. It is gone by the end of my first meeting at 6:45. After that, I refill my coffee mug with the company issue mud. That will usually be gone by 8:30 and I have water for the rest of the day.

Day 1
Had water this morning instead of coffee. I already drink water most of the time, so this will not be a a big shock. I didn't feel very different that I did on a normal coffee work morning. The only main difference that I noticed is that I developed a headache at about 2:30 that afternoon. From what I have read about caffeine withdrawals, headaches are common for the first 5 days or so after caffeine intake ceases. I also had a kiddo in the house that acted like the existence of the universe depended on her talking without stopping. I was asleep by 10:30. My wife came down with the flu, so I slept on the couch. I need her to get better.

Image: Caffeine Molecule. Source, Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment