Saturday, October 31, 2020

Some Heroes Wear Running Shoes

A few weeks ago, I was out on a run in my neighborhood and I came across one of the neighbors out on her walk. Even in the time of COVID, there are some of us who are able to go out on walks and runs while keeping reasonable distances from each other and wearing masks. In my stash of workout clothes, I have a lot of superhero related shirts. There is no leaning toward Marvel or DC, all of the shirt choices were based on fit. 

After a run, wearing the shirt.
As I happened upon the neighbor, she recognized me and asked if I was wearing a Captain America shirt the other day. I didn't recognize her at first, because she was by herself. After I confirmed what I wore on my run the other day, she told me that her son, who I would guess is about 4, recognizes me in the
neighborhood not by my height, but by that shirt. When I see the little boy out with Mom and the little sibling in the stroller, he is usually wearing something or somethings along the line of super heroes, so I can understand the connection in his mind. 

This family, who lives on an adjacent street, got me thinking about a couple of different things that in my mind are connected to the weight of these distanced interactions. First, runners are ambassadors to the community. Not just the people who see us huffing and puffing as we go down the road, but also people who are thinking of maybe taking up the sport. It is impossible to tell, but sight, if someone is lining up at the start of a race for the first time, or for the 150th time. Runners tend to be nice, supportive people. The race is not against the other runners, but against the course and against who the runner was. Runners are ambassadors or positivity, politeness and perseverance. The homeowners in the neighborhoods we run in either will see us as people who work hard for a goal, or who generate a lot of noise and a lot of garbage on our way past their houses. 

The connection of that child recognizing me by my shirt also is a reminder that everyone is a role model to someone else. The role model doesn't get to choose who admires them. Back in the 1990s, there was a Nike commercial campaign where Charles Barkley is not a role model.


While I understand where the commercial is coming from, Sir Charles has no say in who looks up to him. Being a role model is not something one is paid to do. They are also not a substitute for the role that parents should have in their kids lives. The rest of us are no different in that respect. Since role models can come from anywhere, it is not unreasonable for someone to be a role model and I have no idea that they are on that pedestal.

During a run, a trip to the store, or your time picking up your kids from school, a person can be admired at any time. It can also happen in the workplace. An intern or a new hire can see how you conduct yourself at work and make one of two decisions. Either you can be an example of what sort of coworker they want to be, or you can show them how they do not want to behave. 

On a run, when someone waves at you, smile and wave back. It doesn't throw off your pace or require you to even stop. Out in public or at work or school, be nice. I am not saying that a bad day or a bad mood isn't allowed, but, be mindful of how you react to things. Given the number of shirts I have from races, I don't pay much attention when I put one on. Even with nothing on me that flags me as a runner, you never know who you will run into in public. That potential is not limited to famous people. My wife and I have a joke between us that we can't go anywhere without me seeing someone I know. It isn't completely true, but does happen enough that it feels true.

When you think back to when you were younger, was there anyone that you looked up to? Did they know that was the case? Nature and nurture psychology says that the people we interact with have an impact on who we become. Jim Rohn said that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. When you consider all of these factors, what sort of impact do you want to have on society, even if you are not sure how?


No comments:

Post a Comment