Monday, May 17, 2010

Exercise Buzz

In my reading, I have seen references to "runner's high" and people making the comment that they feel like they have more energy during the day after working out in the morning. As I have stated in an earlier post, I have personally experienced having more energy during the day after a good morning run or calisthenics. Trying to understand this "runner's high" concept seems a little foreign to me.
I have noticed that my mood has been considerably better with working out regularly. I am typically a pretty low key person, but, I did catch myself singing along in the car and just generally not letting things like traffic bothering me. We have a lot of road construction going on where I live and I had to go the long way to go home after work on Saturday. Working on Saturday, didn't get me down. I got a lot accomplished and felt good about that. The Sun was shining and I felt good being in it.
Even tonight, after a 10+ hour work day and putting in a 3 mile run. I feel really good. That is not a term I use very often. I have read that the body releases Endorphins during workouts and those chemicals make a person feel good. That is where the "runner's high" comes from according to some theories. I have not run any major races or gone really far during a run. I am still working on my endurance and just trying to keep the workout habit going. I am very anxious to see if "runner's high" has anything to do with how far the runner goes.
Another repeating thought in my reading is that a person should consult a doctor before starting a workout program. Even The Biggest Loser recommends this practice during their end disclaimer. I am going to the doctor tomorrow for a full physical. Given what my stated goals are and the recent loss of family, it seems like a good idea. I expect to hear that I am fat. I am working on that. Beyond that, I don't know what will happen tomorrow. My last physical was over 20 years ago. I am interested to see where I stand medically. I can only say that I feel pretty good at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment