Tuesday, February 2, 2010

New Shoes

I have never thought of this as being a forum for suggestions to give to the rest of the world about what to use for workouts, or anything else in life. I actually want to encourage others to give me ideas since I am learning this as I go along.
Up until recently, I have been using a pair of cross trainers to do my workouts in. I fairly comfortable pair of Nikes that I have had for a couple of years, but, I have only used in a gym or on our treadmill at home.
Last weekend, my wife and I went to an outlet store about an hour from our home and I went into a Nike store to find a new pair of shoes for just living in. I am a fairly tall person (about 6'4") and I have big, wide feet. A consequence of this is that finding shoes that fit is a major challenge. I looked at and tried on 5 or 6 pairs of shoes, ranging from basketball shoes all the way to walking shoes. I even tried on a pair of Air Jordans. Hey, at an outlet store, why not? I couldn't find anything that I was happy with, or wasn't expensive, even for an outlet. I had just about given up one of the employees suggested that I try on a pair of shoes that he wears almost on a daily basis and is the most comfortable for him.
He brought out a pair of running shoes. That really wasn't what I was looking for to wear while hanging out with friends and such, but, I decided to try them on anyway. It felt like I was just wearing socks, they were so light and comfortable. For those who might be interested, they are Zoom Vomero+4's and I am excited to be using them. My cross trainers, great shoes in and of themselves will be my hangout shoes and I will be using the running shoes during my workouts. I may even get an second pair when the weather is better for running outside. They have the space in the sole for the Nike iPod sensor. I don't have that yet, but I am considering that for tracking my distances when I start working out outside.
As of yesterday's weigh in, I am 256.4 lbs. We have gone out to eat way too much and I have worked out way too little. This is no way to prepare for a 10k or anything bigger.

1 comment: